Sunday, February 10, 2008

Helping out elsewhere in the department

I was able to visit the museum today for the first time in over a month, but with the temperature hovering around zero I wasn't about to spend my time out in un-heated Barn 8 working on the CA&E cars! When I arrived the only activity was Joel Ahrendt and Joe Stupar working on North Shore 714, so I spent a few hours helping repair that car's heater circuit wiring. Of the car's three heating circuits only one had been working; they had gotten the second circuit working previously and today I helped them in replacing bad wiring in the third heater circuit. We also replaced the wiring to one of the car's three thermostats, though we didn't actually hook the thermostat back up (in this system, the heat comes on when the thermostat contacts are open so its presence isn't required for testing purposes). At the end of the day the bad wiring was replaced and the heaters were all successfully tested. North Shore 714 is one of our regular service cars and will probably be operating quite a bit during the year, including April and October when working heat will come in handy.

No comments: