Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Progress in Barn 8

Today I started by painting several sections of the outer window sill with grey paint. These are parts which had been sanded, caulked, and then primed last year; this is a first finish coat. I did about 2/3 of one side.

I then lettered the ceiling bulkhead in the smoker with '309' as shown. I also did some more gluing of veneer panels in the main compartment, and cleaned up the parts done last time. I also spot primed the plugs installed last time.

I also made a visual inspection of all six traction motors for the blue cars. In the motor that failed in 2006, the string banding to the left of the commutator came loose and got jammed in the brush holders. I believe this was a cause and not an effect of the failure, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. My intention is to inspect the motors after every day of revenue service this year if I can, or after every weekend otherwise. It's not much fun, though, let me tell you.

Let's look at the electrical cabinets. On the left is the #1 end. It has two big knife switches, for third rail and motor. I have removed and stored the blade for the third rail switch, so the third rail shoes cannot be energized. Then there are the control switches, contactor cutouts for the #1 end truck, and an inductance coil to suppress surges in the control circuits. On the door are spare fuses, boxes for CA&E report forms (which are also in storage), and hotbox coolant.

On the right is the #2 end. It has the interior lighting switches at the top, then the headlight switch, a knife switch for the compressor, contactor cutout for the #2 truck, and the heating circuits. All the fuses are out because the heaters do not work.

AND Max and Roger were working all day in Barn 8 installing conduit and boxes for lights and outlets along the southeast wall. Thanks guys!!!

No comments: