Friday, May 23, 2008

309 Clerestory Windows Completed

Today I spent most of my time working on clerestory windows. All of the remaining broken panes of glass on the north side were replaced. The first picture shows a sector with the new glass. I also did painting on the clerestory parts. As I probably mentioned before, every original pane of glass was cracked by the 1971 fire, so it's nearly impossible to strip the tar from the outside surface and basically all of them needed to be replaced.


However, for the time being, at least, I'll leave three original panes in place in the smoker. The second picture shows this sector; only the piece farthest to the right is a replacement. I have replacement glass pieces for these three if I ever change my mind.

I also patched up and painted some holes in the letterboard, so it can be repainted. And I put a first coat of finish brown paint on the floor of the #1 vestibule.

I should also point out that the new high-intensity lights over the aisles in Barn 8 were a big help when working on the clerestory. Without them, I would have had to bring some sort of spot lighting system up onto the platform with me. That's always a hassle. Thanks, Max!

No comments: