Monday, June 9, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Due to the constant rain, there wasn't much painting today, even as the deadline approaches. But I finished all the of the woodwork and filler on the #2 end and put on primer, as seen here. But there's a drawback: now the #1 end doesn't look as good as it used to. Oh dear. I also put primer on the #1 end on some small areas that are now red but should be blue.

I also spent some time putting the last triangle in the clerestory and installing more quarter-round mouldings.

In a couple of places the new inlay strips had popped out, so I glued them back in place as seen to the left. And some of the grab irons were missing a screw, so I redrilled holes and installed new ones.

And I did some straightening up in the 321, and sorted out all of the wood stockpile. While doing so, I found several copies of a memo I had prepared about 30 years ago, buried under spare pieces of wood. When I was ready to start restoring the interior of the 309, there were those who thought that it should be restored to its as-built appearance as opposed to its 1940's configuration; I thought otherwise and wrote up a list of extra things that would have to be done in that case - a list which filled a whole page. And I won the argument. I'm still persuaded this was the correct decision. I would not yet have finished restoring the car once, let alone twice, if we had chosen to aim for a restoration to as-built condition. Fortunately, we now have in the 504 a beautiful example of an interurban in its original form, and one which is really more typical of interurban design.

No comments: