Sunday, July 20, 2008

Not Quite According to Plan, Part 2

The 308 and 309 were supposed to operate today, and the weather was fine, but the handles weren't in the usual location so the crew had to take the North Shore train out instead. Which brings up a question: does anyone among our readership have an ammo box like the one shown here that they could donate? These are perfect for storing handles and now that 308 and 309 are in regular service we could use one of these. Thanks!

So I was planning on spending most of my day working on the 205 anyway, and that's just what I did. A while back Bob Bruneau had given me a trio of brass window frames from the museum's stores to modify for use as end windows on the 205, and I cut those down by 1-1/8" in width to fit on the car. Portland had replaced three of the car's brass end window frames with wooden frames, which in addition to being unauthentic were also badly rotted out. These replacements will serve admirably to backdate the car to its Indiana Railroad appearance.












Sorry for the photo quality; I forgot my camera (AGAIN) and these pictures were taken using my cell phone. The wonders of modern technology! On the left one of the frames is shown on the bench in the shop, and on the right we see the center and left (from the motorman's perspective) window frames test-installed. Next they get stripped and glazed before final installation. I also spent some time helping Nick conduct a survey of the display signs of our electric cars on display.

No comments: