Sunday, September 21, 2008

First finish paint goes onto 205

A milestone in the 205 cosmetic restoration project was reached today: the first finish paint went onto the car itself. It wasn't orange though - it was green. I painted the roof saddles and roof vents with a coat of IR dark green paint; both had previously received a coat of paint, but the roof had been painted with a much darker green (almost black) as a first coat. The paint we're using for the second coat matches the roof and step wells of the 65. The difference can be seen below:
After this was done I was running out of time (I didn't get out to IRM until mid-afternoon) but I decided to borrow the official Car Department Truck, IRM fleet #45, and drove to the Menards in Woodstock to save more money on some 12' long 2x6's. These will be used as roof boards on the car, replacing the (badly rotted) 2x6 roof boards it had when we got it. I also bought a new pad sander to use on Bondo applications on the 205. I had already picked up some paint roller supplies, and I hope that within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to put the final coat of green on the entire roof. All in all, it was a productive day.

No comments: