Monday, November 10, 2008

New Arrivals

Perhaps the biggest news today was the arrival on the property of two steam locomotives from the Thompson Winery in Monee, a 2-6-2T and a 2-6-0.

Here's the 2-6-2T.







And this is the 2-6-0 with its tender. Unfortunately, I'm told the pilot truck is missing.








Scroll down through the steam page for more info.








But to back up, I started today by going back to Ameriglass in Woodstock to pick up the new windows they made for us. The three end windows for the 205 have been glazed, and one of the frames was fixed also. They really look nice. The 205 windows I just loaded into the car; Frank will see to installing them. One for the 518 I took home to putty and install new quarter-round window sticks. I don't want to apply oil paints or varnish in my basement workshop, but glazing should be fine.

(This picture is an interesting lesson in optical distortion. The sides of the window are straight, even if they don't look it.)

I did a little more clean-up on the roof of the 277; now I just need to start buying wood. After applying some penetrating oil and more torque, I managed to loosen all four bolts holding the trolley poles to the bases on the 308; this was a relief. I can't get the poles down by myself, of course, so that will come later. Then I worked some more on rearranging parts in the 321, varnished a 518 window, and cleaned some others. Next time I should be able to install two new ones in the car and remove two others.


In other news, Dave Diamond continues to make good progress on installing the new sides on the diner, but that's subject to the weather, of course. All the trim pieces have to fit just right. Let's see, insert tab C into slot D....




And the contractors continue to work on Barn 11. By the end of the day they had finished the west end, seen here earlier (R).



No comments: