Saturday, November 22, 2008

Well, That's a Switch

I started by cutting out the remaining pieces of ash I'll need to patch up the carlines on the roof of the 277, and installed and painted three of them. I'm now ready to start installing roof boards, and I cut two pieces to length for a test fit. I never got around to taking pictures of this work, but it's pretty much the same as last time. Then, however, ....

We needed to shuffle the L cars on track 83, mostly so that pictures of the 6125/6126 can be taken next week. (I couldn't work on the roof with DC power on in the barn.) This took a while, but it gave me the opportunity to take some pictures, in between helping with the switch move, patching up a damaged stinger cable, and stuff like that. Here are three of the wood cars being pulled by the Com Ed 4.

(L) Bob Heinlein is watching flanges and signalling motorman Stan W. on the locomotive as the wood cars are backed onto the connector. (R) The three PCCs are then pulled out of the barn. Here we have three different generations of Chicago L cars -- you may know that IRM has the only comprehensive collection of Chicago rapid transit.


(L) This is the end of car 1268, which Tim Peters is restoring. (R) Cars 6125/6126 on the 84 lead, before they were put back inside. These cars were used in Steve McQueen's last movie, "The Hunter," in which he rode for several miles on top of the cars. This stunt has not yet been repeated at IRM, however.


After the switch move was over, it was too dark in the barn to continue on the roof. I did some more work on the new trolley parts for the blue cars, and took them home for adjustments and to get the correct hardware. This will be a big improvement over the old shoes. And I picked up a collection of photos from Dave Diamond of moving the IRR 205 from Yakima, Wash. to Union back in 1993. In a few days we'll post an illustrated travelogue of this eventful trip.

I also picked up a reimbursement check from Joe Reuter. Looking back at my log book from the 70's, I notice every so often: "Picked up a check from Joe Reuter." Joe has been doing the same thankless task for more than 30 years, but if it didn't get done, the Museum wouldn't function. And there are several others who likewise have been keeping the whole operation going, usually without adequate thanks. You know who you are, though, so thanks!!!

No comments: