Saturday, December 27, 2008

Drill, Ye Tarriers, Drill!

On the third day of Christmas
My true love gave to me...
Permission to go out to the Museum. Woo hoo!

It was raining all day, so it seemed like a good time to work in the car shop. It's a lot less lonely! I drilled out all of the new seat frame castings I had received from Glenn Guerra previously, as mentioned here. I made a simple jig out of scrap lumber and used it to drill all the holes in the eight new seat frame castings. Each one has 15 holes, 12 of which are countersunk for FH wood screws. It took several hours, but at least I could do most of this job sitting down.

Here (R) is the final product, with all of its holes drilled.


I then worked on the new harp assemblies, and got two of them completed. Here's a picture of one. Two of them, however, will require thicker inserts than the ones we have. In any case, I'm sure these will be an improvement.

There were a lot of people out today: Bob Kutella, who took the picture of me above; Shelley was working on her seat frames, and her father on one of the Rube Goldberg machines. John Baletto was doing needle chipping on the 757. Mike Stauber and a friend of his who wishes to remain anonymous were working on a streetcar which wishes to remain anonymous. Stan and Christine worked on parts for the L4. Joel was doing drainage work and switching. And there were several others, I can't remember what each of them was doing.

No comments: