Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easy Come, Easy Go

I did more work on the roof of the 277 today. I drilled out holes and installed the two outer screws through the running boards into every saddle, and drove the screws nearly all the way. (But didn't tighten them down, on purpose.) Now when I reassemble the whole thing, there won't be any guesswork. All the saddles will line up exactly where they should be.

It really wasn't necessary to install any of the other parts, but I decided to drill the holes and attach the two plates for the trolley base, as seen here.

It may not be obvious from these pictures, but clearances are so tight that when I'm kneeling on the running boards, my back is up against the trolley wire. It's reassuring that I can lock out the switch so easily, thanks to Max!

Now you see it, now you don't. I then disassembled the whole thing, and started sweeping all the sawdust away so I can put another coat of primer on the new wood. Getting it clean is actually a real problem with all the various parts in the way. I think I'll need some help to get the new wood down off the roof so it can be painted.

Although it was rather chilly on the ground, with the sun beating down on the tin roof, it's quite warm up on the roof of the car. This is a good time to be working up there -- in the summer it may be unbearable. I even took off my shirt. But one picture of me in my undershirt is enough for a while, I think.

Tim Peters is now working on the 1268 over in Barn 4, so the 68 was moved to the east end of track 83. Here it is alongside the 308.









At this point, I decided I'd had enough fun working on my hands and knees. I did some more sorting of parts inside the 277. (L) It may be hard to see, but there were still lots of old nails sticking out of the posts where the old siding had been removed. I spent some time pulling out or breaking them all off. Note that this is exactly the same basic body structure as on the CA&E wood cars.

(R) This is the only old panel on the right side of the car still in place, but it's pretty bad. I'm not sure why Bob didn't remove it, so I should ask him, I suppose. I don't think it can be reused.



The so-called "croquet hoops" (the arched side wall pieces over the double windows) had been stored in another car in another barn for some reason, so I brought them over to the 277. Bob Bruneau did his usual perfectionist job of stripping them down to bare wood, although they will be repainted. One is broken and needs to be glued back together, and some repairs are needed, but they are basically in good condition and will be reinstalled.

I also took some pictures of the 637 and 4963, so watch the steam page for updates!

No comments: