Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wood, glass and steel

I managed to get a lot of work done on the 205 today; the weather was absolutely perfect, about 70 degrees and sunny all day. I started off working on the two new doors. Last weekend, David Wilkins and I had test-installed the glass in the first door during a break in the operating meeting action, and today I installed all but a couple of the "window sticks" - the trim strips that hold the glass in place - on that first door. A few of the shorter window sticks had been lost at some point so I made a few more and primed them; these will be installed next week. Jeff Brady gave me some instructions on glass cutting, which I had never done before, and I was able to cut a piece of glass to fit for one of the windows in the second door. Both doors are pictured below left; the upper window in the left door is the only one yet to be done, and I plan to procure glass for this during the week. Once this is completed, both doors can be installed! Below right, the Michigan Electric 28 crew, L-R: Jeff Brady and Norm Krentel work on a test installation of roof Masonite while blog reader Walt Stafa gives me the finger.

After this, I built a doorstop for the 205 for after the door leave
s are installed. This will be placed in the step well of the car and will keep anyone from pushing the doors open to gain access to the car; a similar system is used on some of our other streetcars. The carpet will protect the finish on the insides of the new doors.Finally, I got out the two retrievers that we had fished out of a parts container a few weeks ago, needle-chipped and wire-wheeled them, and spray-painted the upper surfaces of the retrievers. Readers from other museums note: the 205 originally had Ohio Brass catchers, and while the retrievers pictured are similar, we would be interested in obtaining a pair of (working or non-working) correct-type OB catchers for the 205. If anyone has a couple of spare OB catchers please contact me - thanks!

No comments: