Monday, June 15, 2009

Short Day at the Farm

I wasn't able to get out to IRM until 4:30pm today but decided to go anyway to check on the CA&E cars, which were in revenue service this weekend, and to take some quick measurements on the 205. I arrived with barely enough time to board the 308-309 for their final trip of the day. To the right is my none-too-good interior shot from my seat in the car. Jim Nauer was motorman and Joel Ahrendt conductor; Jim is seen at right below sweeping out the car after the last run. We always appreciate how well the train crews take care of the cars!

After this I headed over to the 205, where I took some measurements for window post caps. As seen at left, many of the original window post caps are badly rusted through. These caps provide part of the window track but are not major structural members. One of the solutions to this issue that was suggested was to make caps to fit over the original post caps, as a kind of sleeve. This would make for a good cosmetic appearance and would be fairly straightforward. I drew up a quick diagram of the proposed caps; we'll have a test piece made and, after any necessary adjustments, will have enough made for the whole car.

Finally, I helped out a small bit with closing up the Illinois Central MU cars, which were over at the pit being inspected. It was nice to see these cars out of the barn for the first time in a few years.

2 comments:

Frank Hicks said...

I should mention another entry in the Hicks Car Works Dictionary of Terms:
The farm: The IRM museum campus.

Adam Robillard said...

I saw the IC MU's out this weekend for the first time in my museum 'career' Saturday. It's hard to believe what we have under those sheds when the equipment sits indoors for so many years. After all of Doug G's stories they were good to see. Can't wait to see them in the parade this year!