Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Roof Work Nearly Complete

We had planned to do some more brake adjustments on the 308 today, but it rained without letup all day, so that didn't get done. We sure know how to pick 'em. The brakes are sometimes dragging, and I know that at least we need to install a replacement return spring in the brake cylinder. So I'm afraid I have to red-tag the cars for this weekend.

But the weather was just fine for working on the roof of the 277. I finished installing screws in the saddles and running boards, then installed and connected the fuse box (yellow arrow) and brace for the leads from the trolley base (red arrow). Now all that needs to be done is to install the trolley base. Joel has finished overhauling and repainting it as seen here. (R) Thanks, Joel, it looks great. Now I just need a couple of other guys to help me get it from the floor of the barn onto the roof. Then the pole can be installed when it's finished.

I also started removing all of the tools and parts I probably won't need from the roof. One of the harder parts of this job is getting the tools up and down.

So I ran out of things to do on the roof. Whew! I put a first coat of finish paint on the bulkhead, as seen here.












In the smoker, there are two bell cord hangers as seen here, which use a leather strap. One of them had broken, so I removed it. After taking this picture, I removed this one also and took them home. Bruneau had already acquired replacement leather, so this seems like a good project to do in the basement.

I also took some pictures of the cab, which I have added to the IT album here.

And John Almond, a CA&E fan and IRM member from Tucson, was visiting, so I let him into the 309 to take pictures.

No comments: