Wednesday, August 5, 2009

277 Update



I started by putting primer on the rest of the surfaces of the lobster trap, as seen here. After about four hours, it was dry to the touch.





Meanwhile, I did some more painting in the interior. The parts of the duct I had scraped down earlier were rolled with a first finish coat, as seen here. And more of the smoker bulkhead was painted. I also did more sorting and cleaning inside the car.



Finally, Gerry Detloff helped me raise the lobster trap onto the roof. It's hard to take a good picture inside the barn, at least from the ground. I'll need the right size ladder to install the rest of the screws holding it to the roof.

2 comments:

Zach said...

Question: What's a Lobster Trap do?

Thanks,
Zach

Randall Hicks said...

Seriously, that's a good question. I believe it was basically to protect the end of the roof in case a pole comes loose, or is bent, or the trolley wire falls on the car, or whatever. The North Shore cars all had them; the IT car has only one at the rear, being single-ended. The CA&E never had such things, since it was mostly third rail. But neither did the TM. As for other lines, some did, some didn't. So I really don't know.

Can anybody else be more specific?