Wednesday, September 2, 2009

277 Update

Today I reinstalled the trolley pole on the 277. This is not easy to do with only two hands, but with some effort it can be accomplished. Everything is tightened down and I believe the trolley base is approximately tensioned -- we'll have to check the tension when the car is outside under higher wire.

I then inspected and lubricated the two compressors, and tested the air brake system. Everything worked as expected, so operation is near!






Then, armed with more caulk, I installed four ventilators along the south side of the car. I decided I needed to check pictures to be sure where the ventilator should be at the front of the car. As mentioned before, these ventilators don't actually ventilate anything, but they make the car look correct and keep rain from running into holes in the tar paper.








And in ground-breaking news, work is starting on the Car Department shop extension on the south side of Barn 4. Dave and Carl spent all day excavating the dirt for the floor of the extension, as seen here. And Max has been working for a couple of weeks to make the required changes to the electric service.

No comments: