Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Think We Won

World War II, that is.

Here the re-enactors gather in the morning by the flagpole for a safety briefing.

There was a good crowd of visitors, but not huge. This re-enactment was not widely publicized, but more of a test run, as I was told. I believe it went well, and they would like to do this again next year during Memorial Day weekend. In any case, I think we all had a blast!



The uniforms were all very authentic, and there were many period vehicles such as these.










They also set up several interesting and informative displays of WWII items.













The Battle of McHenry County.









Those Germans. What a bunch of comedians.




This is part of the final climactic battle for the rail yard. Unfortunately, this picture just doesn't do it justice.







I got a few compliments on my outfit. Others thought I looked like a member of the Gestapo -- or the Mafia.

"Nice little diner ya got here, Nick. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it..."

6 comments:

David Wilkins said...

That a Homburg hat or a fedora? Either way, very nice job of fitting in and looking period.

Adam Robillard said...

Great report. Wish I could have come to see it all. Next year it's a must. How difficult is it to climb onto the roof of the 277 in those clothes..??

Anonymous said...

I was going to hold my tongue, but I just can't control myself...

"Those Germans. What a bunch of comedians"

Has that phrase ever been said before in the history of the world ?

Funny stuff.

I really like the War Bonds sign on the front of the Surface Lines car, that's a nice touch.

Final note, personally when I saw you yesterday morning, my first thought about your attire was that you looked like one of the cast members from my favorite movie of all time, "The Great Escape". You looked just like one of the POWs dressed for the escape in civilian clothes. (Reading this back it sounds weird, but it IS meant to be complimentary !)

John C

Randall Hicks said...

Obviously I should have put the word in scare quotes: Those "Germans."

And I should have mentioned that Frank Sirinek had the War Bonds sign made for this occasion and it looked great.

Thanks!

David Wilkins said...

Your new nickname is "Five Fingers Randy"

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all at the Museum that helped make this day possible. The only thing that could have made it better would have been sunshine! See you all next Memorial Day for the bigger and better sequel1

Phil Lauricella