Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time for Dessert

I love butterscotch -- don't you? That's what the interior paint for the 319 resembles, so what's not to like?
After some more surface prep, and giving the smoker compartment a chance to warm up on this chilly day, I put another finish coat on the entire bulkhead, as seen here. The wall on the right side has been used for testing various methods, and looks pretty good.

The paint on the door and below the window on the left side was in good condition, so those parts I just roughed up and repainted. The section around the window may need some more work, but basically I think it's going well. I also did more work on the side walls.

As a side note, in the left-hand picture above, the window frame in the lower right-hand corner is exactly the same color as the wall behind it. So you can't really trust these photos. You have to see it in person.

While I was doing this, there were two men (contractors, I suppose) working on the roof of Barn 8 driving in more screws to hold the roof on, and I don't know what else. Of course, the sound reverberates through the barn. So I'm trying to listen to Don Giovanni while I paint, and these guys are making strange noises up on the roof. How inconsiderate -- what would Emily Post say????



After painting was done, I started working on the ceiling. There are a couple of places where it's come loose. This is the worst place in the car, and it's in the smoker. I don't know if these pictures really show the problem. In any case, I found that substantial pressure will be required to push the ceiling panel back up to the supports so it can be refastened with new screws and nails.

Luckily, I have just the thing, a clamping device I made many years ago for pressing loose veneer to the walls in the 309 while the glue dried. It's stored in the 321, so I'll get it out next time and start fixing the ceiling.



Meanwhile, over in Barn 2 painting on the 451 has not yet started, but it's getting close. Final surface prep is nearly complete, and when I walked over there, one of Jim Followell's helpers was prepping one of the ends of the car.








And the Cleveland PCC that Eric and Ed have been working on for so many years is now in Barn 2 also, waiting its turn for painting.

No comments: