Monday, December 6, 2010

Winter work

I made it out to IRM for Sunday afternoon and found the shop packed; cold winter days have the effect of concentrating people in the heated portions of the museum! Notable exceptions were the hardy Happy Holiday Railway volunteers, who were out spreading Christmas cheer. But us snowbirds in the car shop enjoyed a Christmas party and a cake celebrating Frank Sirinek's 75th birthday, as seen below (I got there a bit late and missed Frank blowing out the candles). Frank has volunteered at IRM for something like 45 years and has long led restoration and maintenance work on our Chicago streetcar fleet.
A lot of work was going on, including Tim working on doors for the 1797; Jeff, Norm and Ray working on baggage doors for Michigan 28; Rod working on contactor tips for IT 277; and Joel and Greg working on inspecting North Shore 714. I spent plenty of time goofing off, including a trip over to Barn 2 with Jon to look at progress on CA&E 451, but did get a bit of work in. I removed a contactor tip from the 277 for Rod to compare with drawings on hand and put a coat of "ceiling ivory" on the buzzer cord hanger for the 309.
I also stripped some more paint off of the window for the 205 (see below) but the aged chemical stripper I'm using is pretty poor so I think I'll have to get a new can if I want to finish this job in my lifetime. I also gave Rod some cardboard patterns for patches to be installed on the 205, which he is going to get cut out of 14-gauge sheet metal.
There are other interesting things afoot in the department, including a new piece of equipment due onto the property. Don't touch that dial!

No comments: