Thursday, March 17, 2011

Color and Light

The first priority today was to install newly repainted windows in our IT coach 518. I started by removing the paper and masking tape from the outer storm windows, seen here in progress. Then they were pushed up in their usual stored position, and the inner windows were put in place, along with the window shade tracks and shade boxes. Each window has a large number of screws to drive home.

When done, this is what it looks like from the outside:

(I was asked to leave the paper in place on the car in case touch-up is needed.)

And the inside.










I also did some painting on the new parts of the 277 I recently completed. Here's the double window post. Rod got the old orange paint matched very closely, I think. Of course, the car is somewhat faded, and if we were going to completely repaint it a different shade would probably be needed, but for now this seems to work well.

And here's the new window sill section. It may not be obvious, but these two pictures show the same car and the same color. Who ya gonna believe, me or your own lying eyes?!?



A couple of days ago B&G inspected the various barns and gave us some useful advice on things to fix. Dave suggested pulling the rugs out from under the blue cars, which I did. And then it would be a good idea to block our scaffold so younger visitors aren't tempted to climb up. This piece of Masonite was once part of the temporary end of the 308. It's just the right size and rather decorative. I suppose now we should finally letter the faux-faux-folding sign. I also spent some time sorting and storing parts. And I removed all of my personal things from the 234.


Several other projects were in progress. Tim continues to work on the 1797; the west end appears to be nearing completion.


And Max turned on the newly-installed lights in the shop extension for the first time! Woo hoo!

4 comments:

David Wilkins said...

I assume the faux end was from the days when you were reassembling that end of the 308?

Anonymous said...

I always thought a fake CA&E car end would make a great IRM display at the train shows. Maybe make the other two masonite panels and some kind of foam roof for a portable mock-up? It would look very cool!

Frank Hicks said...

I don't remember when exactly that Masonite end panels were made (maybe 2000 or 2001?) but I do recall they didn't last very long. If memory serves the 308 was switched over to Barn 4 on an extremely windy day in October 2001 to have its missing end rebuilt over the winter, and one of the Masonite panels enclosing the car's end got ripped in half by the wind while we were going past the depot.

Bruce Duensing said...

Hi,
I walked through the IT cars at IRM a very long time ago, when they were lined up near the end of the main line, which I suppose would be located west of the present depot and road leading into what is now the parking lot. A gentleman was very kind to open up the cars and give my then girl friend and I an extensive tour of the interiors and the "then and now" condition of these cars is, to say the least, remarkable and a tribute to all those who have provided sweat equity to history, yourself included.