Friday, April 15, 2011

Sandley Works Catalog

While sorting through old files, I came across this catalog. It's a little off topic from our usual full-sized railroad preservation, but still of interest.


Both of the locomotives shown here were built at the Dells for the Milwaukee Zoo; the 82 is now back at the R&GN. I must say that 45 MPH for a 15" gauge locomotive seems rather unrealistic.

Don Ross has a complete page listing every locomotive built by Sandley here.







And I see that there's more about this company at the R&GN website.

I had such a deprived childhood, I was never able to buy anything from this catalog. But I can remember wishing!

3 comments:

David Wilkins said...

Wasn't the Ampersand Reset South Eastern (the two foot gauge coach pictured in the brochure) the railroad on the Donneley estate?

Anonymous said...

Donnelly's 2-foot railroad was mostly at the Brookfield Zoo. I wonder if his private cars operated on the line. They were stored at his estate along with the Dejarling locomotive until going to Indiana. The 2' gauge enclosed coach and parlor were lost in the big fire at Hesston. A third car, baggage car, still exists. It was used at a tourist railroad in Colorado into the 1980s.

Randall Hicks said...

But before the equipment was moved to the zoo, Mr. Elliott operated it at his estate. I got to ride it a couple of times there when he would invite the executives for a party.