Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Out on the Maine Line

In late July, Katy and I visited my aunt and uncle in New Castle, New Hampshire, where they have retired. The trip was welcome as all of July, St. Louis had experienced temperatures around 95-105 degrees. While on vacation the "hot" day was 83.


New Castle is located near Portsmouth, and is across the harbor from Maine. One day, we visited Portland and Freeport, Maine. Portland is home to the Maine Narroww Gauge Museum. Railroad history-wise, Maine was noted for having several 2 foot gauge railroads, the largest of which was the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad. The museum itself is located on the grounds of the old Portland Company, a large industrial concern that even made narrow gauge locomotives and freight cars for the various 2 foot gauge railroads in Maine.















On display inside the museum were several cars, including the world's only 2 foot gauge parlor car. The car, build for the Sandy River Railroad, saw service with that line and the Sandy River and Rangely Lakes Railroad in Maine. After abandonment, a physician in Phillips, Maine purchased it and had it placed on his property. After World War II, Ellis D. Atwood purchased the car for his Edaville Railroad in Massachusetts. The car is simply beautiful.











The museum also operates a short run using the narrow gauge equipment on trackage along the Portland waterfront. We took a ride and managed to see these beautiful views.

Of course, the real highlight of the vacation was visiting Freeport, Maine, home of L.L. Bean. I managed to purchase this Madras jacket for fire-sale prices.

4 comments:

O Galleghure said...

L.L. Bean has some good stuff, I don't know about that plaid though. The narrow gauge museum sounds pretty cool though, will have to keep it in mind if I'm ever up that way.

Bruce Duensing said...

The interior of the parlor car with it's green upholstery, natural wood and lamp shades almost look to me as if the interior decoration was by LL Bean. I can imagine basking in the warmth of that car as the consist plows through drifts..thanks for sharing. BTW..I have madras sneakers, a prized possession.They are my retirement dress shoes.

Tim Lesniak said...

As close as I am to Maine, I have never been to Maine Narrow Gauge. I guess I must go.

-Tim Lesniak
Warehouse Point

Anonymous said...

The only thing you need to complete your Madras Jacket is a Stormy Kromer cap.

Red Green would be proud of you....

Ken MacLeod