Monday, August 20, 2012

Looking the Part

David Writes.....

Randy is begging for us to post some content while he's out gallivanting around Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula. So....


As frequent blog readers know, all three of you, Randy is a big proponet of Dressing for Success, and so am I.  Since I'm now qualified to operate CTA 3142, I decided that looking like a CSL/CTA motorman was an important goal. After some shopping, I can show off my first portion of the uniform, an 8-point hat, with a 4 number early CTA badge (denoting a surface division, streetcar employee), and a March 1952 dues pin of Local 241 of the transit union that represented Chicago Surface Lines, and later CTA surface division employees. I'll be making my solo 3142 debut on September 8, so look for the sharp dressed motorman, and then look for me.

Of course, for the budget-minded IRM operating volunteer, Randy wanted me to remind you of Henry's Fine Clothes for Men. IRM mainstay Henry Vincent has a wide selection of clothes for the operating volunteer, from fine jackets, and pants, to even some shirts and ties. Caps might even be available. The prices are attractive, though returns are not allowed, but exchanges may be. Randy, Frank and myself have all benefitted from the wide selection and rock-bottom prices at Henry's Fine Clothes Men.

Of course, if Jim West were reading now, he would probably be reminding me to remind our readers that he's always looking for good men and women to operate any given weekend, among the many other tasks a volunteer can do at IRM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to elaborate on HENRY'S FINE CLOTHES. Henry has cared for and preserved a lot of different uniforms and such that have been donated to IRM over the years. It is as a volunteer, and all proceeds remain within IRM. So, please do not Google looking for that store.

Bob Kutella

David Wilkins said...

Bob, we understand, Randy and I just like doing a little tounge-in-cheek humor every now and then. Henry has done a lot of work sorting through literally piles of donated uniform material, making an inventory, and keeping track of sizing. It was a big job, and because of his hard work, operating crews at IRM have the chance to be well-dressed at bargain prices.