Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Doors to Success

Tuesday was another busy day in the car shop for the three of us who showed up.  I continued to strip the interior doors for the 451.  This is the partition door after sanding, and it should be ready for paint.


Then there's the door to the electrical cabinet.  This is the inside, with its various fuse holders and so on.  This side will be left the way it is.


The outer side of the door has this nifty UL brass casting.  I don't think any of the earlier cars have anything like this. (Correction: Rich Block says that the 354 has a UL tag.)


Meanwhile, Jim was hard at work assembling the pilot for the 306.  It's almost complete.


And John sandblasted and otherwise fixed up the double spring hinges for the 306's partition door.  This door disappeared at Shaker, I think, and needs to be replaced.  There's nothing there now.


As a side note, the partition door on the 309 (between the smoker and main compartment) was built with double hinges like this, but they were later modified by inserting screws so that the door swings only one way.  I have never understood why this change was made.

I went over to Barn 8 to check the train, arrange the flags, fill the oil, and so on.  The 309 and 319 will be operating both days this weekend.  I need a conductor and trainman for Saturday, and a complete crew for Sunday.


Barn 8 still doesn't have 600, so I was unable to test the brakes and so on, but I'm sure it will be OK.
Don't miss it!

Meanwhile, the track crew (Bob Olson and Marcus Ruef) were working on upgrading Station 1:  


And you can see how many ties have been replaced:


Back in the shop, I've started stripping the outside of the electrical cabinet door.


And work continues:




No comments: