Wednesday, March 5, 2008

309 Report

Today I started by making some more filler pieces for the outside of the clerestory. When the cap pieces were made, they had a gap on one side so the clerestory window frame could rotate, as explained last time. When the windows were fastened shut in 1925, small filler blocks were nailed in. However, over the years many of these have split and fallen out. So I installed several new ones on the north side of the car to correct that.

Then I did some more interior work on the ceiling molding strips; the task of setting all nails, filling, sanding, and staining is nearly done.

I also worked on some of the seat frames. The picture shows one which has a piece broken out of the track in the end casting. This makes it impossible to reverse the position of the seat backs, which is very inconvenient. Our friend Glenn Guerra has made the castings for complete new H&K 197 seat frames, and I have several replacement end castings on order.



No comments: