Monday, March 24, 2008

309 Report

Today I started by making some hardwood plugs from a 1/2" dowel. The drip rail on the 309 is held by countersunk screws, and the holes are then plugged. This wood was added as part of the rebuilding in 1941 that removed the streamer sash. Several plugs had fallen out over the years, so they needed to be replaced. After the glue was dry, they were rasped and sanded flush, and will be spot primed next time.



Then I started fixing a few more places in the main compartment where the veneer had come loose. The picture below shows the wall-to-wall clamp I use for setting wall panels, which I made in 1979 for the first restoration.
Veneer on the end walls requires some ad hoc solutions for clamping.

Then I made some more quarter-round trim pieces for the clerestory window frames; there are still many missing, and it's a time-consuming task. But at least I'm getting down to the small details.

I also cleaned up and lubricated some seat frame brackets.

No comments: