Monday, September 22, 2008

518 Window Work

Today I started working on windows for Illinois Terminal car 518 in earnest. Most of the interior windows need to be refinished. As shown at left, the car has outer storm windows, which are normally stored in the up position, and inner windows which can be adjusted by the passenger. In this view the two storm windows to the left are in the up position, and the ones on the right are down. Once I remove a window for refurbishing, I can put the storm window down. Most of the storm windows are in very good condition because they're always up inside the car.

To the right, we see a pair of windows from the inside. Notice the water stains on the inner windows? In order to remove them, one must first remove the window shade box, as well as the window shade tracks on each side. The window can then be lifted out. This is actually easier than it was on the 308 and 309, where I had to partly remove the seat backs to get windows in and out.

To the left, we see a pair where I have removed the inner windows. Now the storm windows are down.

I also worked some more on re-organizing the 321, where the refinishing will take place. And I started stripping the two windows I had removed from the 518.



And I went for a walk. Three contractor employees were busily attaching the lower wooden planks to the frame of Barn 11. I noticed they were using a chain saw to trim the boards to length. That's carpentry on a slightly different scale than I'm used to.





And here's a view of the berm along the south edge of our property. This would probably make a good defensive position for the next Civil War battle that gets fought at IRM. On the other hand, it may be too far from the supply lines. It's difficult for the armies to fight without adequate supplies of food, ammunition, and spectators.

No comments: