Monday, November 3, 2008

Status of CA&E 321

Since people ask about the status of this car every so often, you deserve an honest assessment of current plans and the reasons behind them.

Frankly, I have just given up on restoring the 321 for the foreseeable future (i.e., my lifetime). The car has just too many problems, mostly dating back to its destructive conversion to work service in 1962, followed by years of neglect during its storage outside. On closer examination, the structure is not nearly as sound as I had thought. It would take at least ten years for me to complete, since there seems to be little prospect of getting additional full-time help, and when it was done, it would be just another CA&E car. And honestly, I was getting a little bored.

As it is, the car makes a nice display piece. We have wyed the 321 to put its good side towards the public sidewalk. Next spring, Frank will letter the letterboard, completing the cosmetic restoration. It also serves as a convenient shop space for our Barn 8 projects.

I believe my time can be better spent on other IRM projects. As a first priority I will continue to supervise and maintain the two blue cars. These should take only part of my time, and for the immediate future I will be concentrating on the IT cars 277 and 518. These will provide a much more immediate improvement to the museum's operating fleet. I will also be available for help on other projects, such as the roof of the 757.

No comments: