Tuesday, March 3, 2009

More of the Same

I forgot to bring my camera with me to the Museum today. Sorry, but at least you're not missing anything that hasn't already been pictured here. Apart from the thermometer bottoming out. Brrrrr!

I installed the newly-rebuilt trolley pole on the #1 end of the 308, and then removed the #2 pole. It looks to be in much better condition and won't need patching. It's still in Barn 8; next time I'm out on a Saturday we can start on replacing the hardware again. (It won't be this Saturday; I have a concert to go to.)

Most of the rest of the time was occupied by completing the assembly of a seat frame for the 309 and installing it. This is harder than it looks. For one thing, all of the holes in the wooden side wall where the frame is attached were worn, so I had to drill them out and install hardwood dowels, then re-drill them for the screws. And the frame itself needs some work to get it to operate properly after the end castings have been replaced. And then the arm rest didn't fit quite right, and so on.

One of the spring clips that holds the side doors open on the 309 had broken, so I removed a replacement from the 321 and took it to the shop. I wire-wheeled it and painted it with primer. Little things like that can be a real nuisance while operating. Tim was working in the shop on the 1268 project, and is making good progress. He hopes to have the car operational by Member's Day this year. Let's hope!

No comments: