Friday, June 5, 2009

Dave's Depots - Lincoln Depot, Springfield, Illinois


Work recently took me to Springfield, Illinois to appear before the Circuit Court of Sangamon County. Of course, Springfield is where Abraham Lincoln made his home as an adult and practiced law. Springfield has a host of Lincoln-related sites, from the Lincoln Library and Museum, to the Lincoln Home.


One of the interesting Lincoln sites sits next to the Sangamon County Courts building. It is the Great Western Railroad Station. This is where Lincoln left Springfield on February 11, 1861 to head to his inauguration in Washington. On the rear platform of his train, Lincoln gave an improvised farewell speech to the assembled crowd:


"My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell."


The depot remains, and in good shape. The building is owned by the local newspaper, who maintains it.


Springfield also has several other depots, to be covered later, including an Illinois Central Depot, a Chicago & Alton Depot and the Illinois Terminal facility. I only wish I could have taken "the traction" back to St. Louis, to avoid the drive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like traveling around with you and learning about lots of things. But today's leaves me stumped. You said Lincoln's speech at the station was "improvided." I can't find that word. Did you mean "improvised?"

David Wilkins said...

Unfortunately, at times my proofreading skills are lacking, and as a result, my posts can appear to be improvided, err... I mean improvised. Anyway, glad you like the posts, awkward word usage and all.

Unknown said...

The Terre Haute terminal building is still in use and I will send you a picture if you want it.
Dave Foster @

dfoster3@ma.rr.com