Thursday, July 22, 2010

Get Your Kicks With a GE 66

We haven't forgotten about car 36,
Or the couple of things we need to fix,
And just as sure as our name is... OK, OK! I'll stop!!! I promise!

There are still a few minor issues that need to be addressed with the 36's motor truck. One brush holder is defective, so I found a replacement and removed it from one of our spare GE 66 motors from the 318, which we acquired back in 1977. Here it is on the bench, ready for inspection and installation.

I also went out to check on the 321's tarp; everything still appears to be fine.

I spent some time trying to adjust the governor on the 309, helped by Bob Heinlein's expert advice, but without much success. The adjustment screw doesn't seem to have any effect, and the governor is leaking worse than ever. I'm really not sure what to do next.

I went over to Barn 2, where Cody was working. He showed me how to mix some of the Centari paint used on the cars for brush painting, and I painted all of the handrails and the remaining folding steps as seen here. It's quite a bit different from the house-type paint I'm used to; once mixed, it's only good for a couple of hours before it starts to turn to goo, he says. On the other hand, it dries quickly, so I could put two coats on in less than two hours. Brushing it is not difficult with a little practice.




And Tim is making good progress on removing the rotten parts of both ends of Chicago Rapid Transit 1797, which is now in Barn 4. He already has a substantial load of new lumber inside the car, ready for making replacement pieces.

2 comments:

Tim Lesniak said...

What is the 1797?

Randall Hicks said...

Tim:
It's a wooden rapid transit car, 1907 ACF. I've updated the post with a link to its roster page.