Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Wednesday Report

Another productive Wednesday has come and gone.  Pit time is valuable, so I pulled the 308 over to Barn 4 to finish up the inspection process, as far as I could.  Everything went well and no unexpected issues were found.


A new member named Dave, a recently retired mechanic, was looking for things to do, so he helped me for a while with inspecting the traction motors and so forth.   He had to leave early for an appointment of some sort, but I'm hoping he'll show up again soon.


The car was then pulled outside for lubrication.  I did the axle caps, gears, main bearings, and compressor, everything except the armature bearings which will require some help.  I also need help to do the roof inspection, but otherwise it's done for this year.   Whew!

So let's see what other people are doing.   Bill continues to fix up and paint parts for the Pennsy bobber.


Behind him, Rich is working on another large engineering diagram.  I forgot to note which project this is for.


Buzz is nearing completion on all the new parts for the velocipede.  I just can't wait to try it out.  


Pete has been making some new windows for the 160.


And Jack continues to rebuild all of the windows in the Green Bay car.


Ed Oslowski brought out his granddaughter Kirra to help with finishing the new ceiling panels for the Electroliner.


And Chuck was elsewhere, but work continues on the Cleveland PCC truck.  I certainly hope they know how to put this kit together, because I sure don't!



Finally, I got around at last to taking the Schmidt Photo Collection over to the Strahorn Library.  As long as this blog has been in existence, we've never really paid a visit.  So stay tuned, and in a day or two we'll see what we've all been missing.

2 comments:

Matthew B. said...

I'm new here, and would like to know what you use to pull your "dead for now" cars around. I'm thinking some sort of plymouth diesel or another streetcar.

Anonymous said...

Matthew- Generally we use whatever fits the combination of "available" and "practical" the best. Given the choice, our GE 45-tonner USA 8537 works very well: excellent slow speed control, goes anywhere without concern for trolley wire or track radius, easy to run. Depending on what we are switching and where, our ComEd #4 steeplecab electric engine works too. For MU cars with couplers, often the best choice is another similar car, if we have one. It totally depends on the situation, and we have a lot of choices!

R. W. Schauer