Thursday, July 2, 2020

You'll Wonder Where the Yellow Went

It was certainly hot today, but with proper precautions, such as drinking plenty of water, it's still possible to get a lot done.  Here we have some more progress on the 451.


I got a nice new length of trolley rope and attached it to the #2 end pole, which is the only end I have safe and convenient access to right now.  


Tim helped me pull it out of retrieve, and everything seems to be working OK.  So I got to put the pole up for the first time since it got here, I think, and run the MG a little.  More to come!


While standing there with the door open, I noticed this revolting yellow color on the inside edges of the frame and the door.  This must have been the last remaining evidence of Gerry's yellow and green paint scheme, and it was an eyesore.  So I sanded it down and put a coat of primer over it.  There are many other places in the vestibule that will need to be painted red, and this is one of them.


I also was able to reposition a few things on the roof and get the cables into correct position.  This took a while but was well worth it.  And I did some sorting of parts.  Later, I went back to Barn 8 and did some cursory inspection on the wood cars.

I also installed a knife switch in the electrical cabinet to cut out the battery when not in use, so it won't run down.  In service, the cars would always have power on, so that wasn't necessary.  We of course don't do that, so these cutout switches are necessary.



Tim was the only other Car Dept. person working there today.  He's attaching the new longitudinal seats.  The backs will be held in with decorative brass screws attached right through the rattan.


Like this:


He says it's correct, but I'm still a little dubious....



But we also have some non-Car Dept. progress to report today.   Bob wanted me to show you what the Track Dept. have been doing: installing a switch down at South Jct. that will lead to Barn 12, which is next on the construction list.  We're looking east, with Barns 10 and 11 behind us.  Notice how the new switch overlaps the one on the car line.


And when I was there, I ran into an old friend, Mark Secco, working on his crane.  Al Choutka is supervising in this view.


Marco is an expert at anything crane-related, and he wanted me to point out how he is able to cut and trim heavy cables with his pocket knife.  Don't try this at home, kids.


Other people helping him with this project have been Carina Borst and a new member, Ken Ferguson.  Sorry, that's not a very good picture of Ken.


Meanwhile, be sure to keep an eye on the IRM website.  In particular, you will want to read the recent announcement of re-opening in late July.  See you then!

7 comments:

Tim Fennell said...

I'd be curious too see more of the process of how #1754 gets lettered. I'd like to reapply hand painted lettering to Pullman Mt. Harvard once it gets repainted.

Randall Hicks said...

We'll try to document as much of it as we can, but in any case I'm sure Tim Peters will be glad to share his expertise if you have any questions. Any friend of Roger Kramer is a friend of ours....

Patrick Cunningham, CISM, CDPSE, FAI said...

Curious about that switch. There’s not a whole lot of room between the switch and the end of the track at the creek. Doesn’t seem like enough room for cars and a switch engine to effectively use the track to get to the new barn. Is building a bridge over the creek coming soon?

Any word on completing the track to connect to Main Street? Looking forward to a longer trolley loop.

Randall Hicks said...

I can explain that. For now, Barn 12 will house track department equipment, all of which is short enough to use the remaining track for a switchback. Eventually, we may want to use it for longer equipment, and we are planning to build a bridge over the creek when we can. That's probably not in the near future. Of course, the pandemic crisis has delayed almost all of our projects.

Tim Fennell said...

Thanks Mr. Hicks. I may need to pick Tim's brain for some tips and advice. You know before he gets started on the MET cars or 1808. Wink, wink. Not much of the wood car fleet left to rebuild.

Dan Buck said...

Hey Randy, any prediction on when 451 will get its lettering and numbering? I'm looking forward to comparing the as-delivered lettering on 451 with the later version on 460. Any thoughts on which style lettering will go on 453?

Randall Hicks said...

I've been thinking about that. I know we have the tracings somewhere, and lettering might be a good project for the near future. As for the 453, that'll be a while yet, and I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other myself. But money talks. :)