Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cleaning Up Lake Shafer

I found this snapshot in my collection the other day; it's dated Sept. 29, 1996. Four wooden interurban car bodies from the THI&E had been converted into summer cottages on the shore of Lake Shafer in central Indiana back in the thirties, and now they were about to be scrapped. IRM decided to try to preserve them, so a crew traveled down there to prepare them for shipment and remove parts for storage. The car behind us was too badly deteriorated to move, but the other three are now in storage in Barn 10.

From L to R, Dave Diamond, Jim McAlpin, J. Johnson, myself, Tim Peters, and Brian Harp. There was lots of junk lying everywhere, among it the "Johnson Realtors" sign. Somewhere I must have pictures I myself took of the place, but I haven't found them yet.

No comments: