Saturday, May 17, 2008

309 Update

On Friday, I arrived in the afternoon and installed a couple more seat backs, and also revarnished all the arm rests in the main compartment.

Rod Turner and Stan W. were working on fixing a problem with the line switch on the 714, so I helped them with that a little; then we went on a test trip to verify it was working OK.

Saturday was probably the Museum's busiest day so far, since it's Scout Day and the scouts were everywhere. I put a second coat of primer on the floor of the #1 vestibule. Then I sanded down the outer window sill and the molding below it and painted them with white primer, as shown to the right. Wandering photographer Bob Kutella took a picture of me in action here. I hear the Museum has started a restricted fund to buy me a new shirt.

I decided not to move the rolling scaffold into place and work on the clerestory windows, since some scouts might try to work on their obstacle-climbing badges while my back was turned.

Hey, and Nick's is open for business again! Those hamburgers taste just the way I remembered them...

I made a (temporary) fix to a problem on the 308. A bracket holding up a cable running to one of the trucks had come loose, since a bolt had broken. Unfortunately, both halves of the bolt are rusted in place, and I can't get the two parts to line up anyhow. So I made a wooden bracket to hold it up. This shows the before and after. Eventually we should run it over the pit and have an expert free up the bolts and weld it together.

One of the triangles could be removed easily, so since I couldn't work on it in place, the frame was stripped in the shop, then I installed new glass and painted it. I also looked at the roof of the 757 with Rod and discussed what might need to be done.

No comments: