Sunday, June 29, 2008

309 Lettering Done... Almost!

Well, once again I forgot to bring my camera out with me today. Oops! I finished the letterboard on the "L" side (non-toilet compartment side) of the 309 today, applying the letters "CAGO" in yellow, aka imitation gold. I also painted the yellow portions of the car numbers at the southwest corner and on the east (#1) end of the car, the small "B" and "D" letters next to the headlight plugs at the #2 end, and the black background of the car number at the west end of the car. Once this number has its yellow center painted on, the car will be completely lettered. Finally, I touched up the doorknobs on the side doors with blue.

While I was painting on one of the car numbers, a couple of visitors came by who were very interested in IRM's stenciling and lettering techniques. It turns out one of them had bought a vintage truck and was trying to figure out how to letter the side doors for the business that originally owned it. He really appreciated learning about how we do our tracing, stenciling and lettering. I was glad to offer what knowledge I had; just another part of our education mission!

One final unrelated subject: the southeast corner of Central Avenue & Railroad Avenue (just across Central from 50th Avenue... enough Avenues for you?) is now home to two newly-placed steel poles. Rumor has it that this will be the new home for the big "NORTH SHORE" neon sign, which was formerly between Barns 3 & 4 and is now being restored. Stay tuned!

No comments: