Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Illinois-Missouri Terminal Railroad

While looking through some papers in the Robert E. Bruneau collection, I noticed a couple of unusual memos from the IT. The first says that on June 15, 1956, the name of the company would be changed to "Illinois-Missouri Terminal Railroad Company." Ten days later, on June 25, the name was changed back to IT. I'd never heard about this; had anyone else? What could they have been thinking?

And I suppose I could scan them in if you don't believe me.

1 comment:

David Wilkins said...

I'm not sure were my IT history book is, but the timeline coincides with the sale of the IT to the multi-railroad consortium that purchased it and operated it until the end. This may have been a quick corproate renaming to enable the sale to go through