Thursday, February 3, 2011

Digging Out

After the big snow, Rod Turner and Dave Diamond did a fantastic job of plowing the roads and keeping the place going. Rod stayed over during the storm and was able, with considerable effort, to get the plow truck running to clear most of the Museum's roads. By Saturday, the Museum should be readily accessible to any members who wish to work.

On the south side of the barn, the snow was drifted three or four feet deep. On the north side, there wasn't much, so getting a door open wasn't too hard. A lot of snow was blown into the barns under the doors by the gale-force winds, as seen here.

My primary reason for coming out was to check on the 321's tarp, which I was worried about due to the strong winds. From the road, it appears to be OK, so I didn't make the trek out to the car.



Instead, it was a good day for more painting in the 319. I removed my tools and other parts and cleaned the smoker as thoroughly as I could, in preparation for painting the floor. Notice here that there are bolts sticking up slightly in the smoker, attached to the body bolster. There's nothing like this at the other end or in the other cars.

And after a couple of hours, the floor had a second coat of primer. I need to buy a new gallon of the finish brown color, and next time there will be a first finish coat.

After this, I spent more time removing paint in the vestibule.




2 comments:

Bruce Duensing said...

Hi
I have been following your progress, and in terms of the interior of the car, I had some a "dumb" question. Was the car floor surface always painted or was it originally varnished?

Randall Hicks said...

That's not a dumb question at all. I really don't know. I would think the floor must have always been painted, but I suppose a varnish finish would be possible. When I started working on the 309, the paint was almost entirely worn away, and it took a while before I realized it wasn't supposed to be just bare wood.