Thursday, February 17, 2011

319 Report

The 319 smoker is pretty much done for now; the only thing remaining is to touch up the window sills, for which I'll wait until I can open the windows. Although I suppose I could have done that today. Anyhow, I put the seat cushions back in and it looks ready for service!


Then I spent some time working on the wrecking tool box. The tools that came with the car disappeared at some point, so I'm replacing them with spares I had on hand. I got new leather straps from Tim, as reported last time, to make sure they're held in securely. The sledge hammer/axe is mostly secured by wood, but it's still best to have reliable leather too. Some of it was held in with remarkably small screws, so I used bigger ones. Safety first!

I had planned to paint everything today, but I decided instead to put white primer on the new leather and various parts of the wood, so that will wait until next time. Then a finish coat of white, and I can put the glass back in.




The leather straps are also used for pulling the buzzer cord in the vestibules. Here are the new ones I brought from home, with one of them installed in the #2 end.




The next priority is to get the buzzer working. At least we know what's wrong: there's a broken contact in the interrupter. It's in a very inconvenient location, as seen here. The cylinder part (white arrow) holds a 5K resistor to limit the current, and the interrupter mechanism is at one end (yellow arrow). I tried to remove the whole assembly from the ceiling without success, and then tried to remove the one good contact, with like results. But I'll keep trying. These things need to learn you can't put off the day of reckoning forever!

Then there was more paint removal in the #1 vestibule; I'm getting close to putting white primer on the rest of the surfaces. And I walked out through the mud and snow to check on the 321. The tarp is still in good condition, as it appeared from the road. And as usual, I was able to climb up a nearby box car and check that the top of the tarp is still good. That's a relief.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy, you are to be commended and congratulated on all your efforts. Clearly the CA&E cars, but I have seen you pitch in on several other car projects as needed, even though those efforts remain essentially 'invisible'. And of course this site which has been validated and is enjoyable due to what must be a lot of hours on your part.

THANK YOU.

Bob Kutella

Bruce Duensing said...

I agree with Bob inasmuch as the amount of detailed and smaller items in scope receive as much TLC from you as the ones that are more apparent. A thank you from me is due as well, not only for your work at IRM but providing this window into the world of restoration and preservation as well. The only regret I have is not being able to be there myself.
Bruce D

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, we certainly appreciate your support. That helps make it all worthwhile!