Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ready for Action

This post will cover two days, Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesday I was able to complete inspection on the 309, apart from lubrication. Everything went well and the car is now ready for service. In the afternoon I stopped and did some more work on the 319. In particular, I needed to finish painting the floor in the #1 vestibule.


Meanwhile, as you might have noticed, it's been cold, windy, and wet. Yes, I know, whining won't help. Work on the street project is continuing: (L) new curbs in place along Depot St.



But the rain has made progress on this project difficult, to say the least.

Today I did the lubrication on the 309. I decided it's better to do the armature bearings over the pit. You add very little oil so it doesn't leak into the pit, as may happen with axle caps or main bearings. The GE-66 design is really wretched; the armature bearings are hard to see and nearly inaccessible, compared to the later motors such as 254 which open from the top. Note to self: The next time a customer orders interurban cars from Hicks, be sure to recommend a better motor design.


And I noticed this wrench in the oil shed. Don't let alcohol throw a monkey wrench into your life!


Finally, I made up the two-car train and got it ready for service this weekend. Pretty sharp, if I say so myself. It looks better in sunlight, I assure you. You will just have to see it in person.

This weekend is Memorial Day, and IRM will be hosting the WWII re-enactment again. This should be bigger and better than ever, so don't miss it!

7 comments:

David Wilkins said...

That "GE Long Lasting Grease" really lives up to its name, that can is probably older than me!

Randall Hicks said...

I would just be leery of any sort of alcohol that you need such a big wrench to get at. One for the road, indeed.

Anonymous said...

From your scenes, I thought the museum was building a swimming pool.

Anonymous said...

When I was out Wednesday there was already standing water and I am sure more rain fell overnight. I look forward to the WW II event and hope the amphibious units will attend with the LST's and Ducks.

Bob Kutella

David Wilkins said...

The photo of the wrench actually shows two types of "Liquid Wrenches."

Art said...

That two-car CA&E train looks as if sit just rolled out of the factory. What a great job by all!

Glen Brewer said...

Wow a WWII re-enactment -- that sounds really ambitious.

Seriously, I wish I could be there, but it is a long way from Denver.