Thursday, January 5, 2012

High School Grads

Most of the CA&E cars had pretty much the same set of car cards when they left service, but today I noticed one in the 451 I hadn't seen before. It's hard to make out, but the label at the bottom gives an address for the Army recruiting station in Wheaton. So if you just graduated from Wheaton High, you could learn to be a surveyor, a radio announcer, a TV repairman, or a photographer. Now when I was in the Army, I learned a little about how to supervise a tank platoon, but that has had very little value in civilian life, I must say. Obviously I wasn't reading the right car cards.

2 comments:

Jim Stafa said...

Heck, I learned how to be a surveyor without even going into the Army. I cut out the middle man!

David Wilkins said...

The pianist-comedian Tom Lehr stated that the U.S. Army was the fullest expression of American Democracy. They did not discriminate based on race, creed, or ability.