Saturday, April 6, 2013

Clean Living

 Here at IRM, we're all for clean living.


Yeah, I know most of you are scoffing.  But at least once a year it's actually true. We had a good number of people out today to help with cleaning up the revenue service cars, and I believe we had three different crews at work. 

Here are some of the people on the crew who helped by cleaning the 308 and 309: Dan and Lorraine Bixler, Dave Cook, Larry Stone, Jim West, and Greg Stepanek.  Larry Stone is a new member who was working for the first time.  They did a great job of washing windows, cleaning seats, and vacuuming the floors. 

If you missed out on this delightful and worthwhile activity, come on out next Saturday!  Starting time is 10AM at the west end of Barn 7.  See you there!

I  worked on cleaning up the interior of the 319.  It's not ready for revenue service yet, as I want to do some more painting.  But there was a lot of stuff to remove, since I won't need the heaters any more, and the ceiling is probably fine the way it is.  And I did some more painting in the #2 vestibule, and general cleaning up, because tomorrow is another opening day!

Also, I started working on the 36's control system again.  Norm Krentel and Dan Bixler helped at various times by running the controller.  I made some progress: I was able to identify one of the control resistor tubes as open.  This may not be the only problem, but it's the next in line.

Did I mention Norm Krentel?  Here at Hicks Car Works, as a rule we do not endorse political platforms or candidates for trivial positions like President of the United States, but Norm is running for the Board this year on a platform of reform and renewal, and I'm glad to endorse someone I've known for forty years as the right man to help direct our Museum in these difficult times.  If you're a voting member, Norm is one candidate who truly deserves your vote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

randy,
I was thinking about the truck trade that was done between the C,A & E car in Connecticut and the car at IRM.

It never made it into the Rail & Wire and I thought you might tell it again for the newer readers. Or put a link to where ever it went the first time.

Glad to know the joint is open for business again!

Ted Miles
IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

Ted: What you're referring to was described here:

http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2010/06/tale-of-two-trucks.html