Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Tuesday Report

This will be brief, as I didn't take many pictures.  Construction of the new building is progressing.




I spent basically all day working on the 451, mostly sorting parts and installing various pieces that were removed for painting, many years ago.  For instance, on this side we now have the four folding steps installed.  The machine screws will need touch-up paint.  And then we worked on sorting out the drop sash windows and things like that.


I had a new helper today: Tim Wills came out to do Car Dept. projects, and plans to be here about once a week.  He worked at IRM for a while, about twenty years ago, helping Frank Sirinek for a while, and we're glad to have him back.  When the regular motorman for today was unable to work, we had to take a break and figure out what to do.  Dan Mulvihill agreed to run the 415, and Tim went along as a helper and for orientation, since he's interested in getting into operation.  So that's good.  But I never got around to taking his picture.  

After some technical difficulties, I found a light string that would actually work, so at least we have some low-level lighting inside the car.  Being able to see what you're doing often makes the work easier.


 And I'm glad to report that we're already getting some significant contributions to the 453 fund.  We really appreciate the support.

2 comments:

Lucas McKay said...

Would it be possible that you take an up close shot of the signage of the new building the next time you visit? I'm intrigued to see the floor plan.

Randall Hicks said...

Certainly. I wish I had done that. Or maybe I could get Dave to send me the file that was used for making the sign. :)