Thursday, November 5, 2020

Take a Break

 Here's some of today's news that won't cause you distress or anxiety or heartburn -- I hope.  We just keep plugging along on the same track we've been on for a long time.

Here's the 4000 truck that Tim will be working on, and which will be put under the 1754 when done.


I sanded down the Trolleyville patches at both ends on the 453.



And then resumed chopping away the rotten tack molding pieces at the southwest corner.  The wood is rotted enough to make it unusable, but not enough to make it easy to remove.

Photo by Jon Fenlaciki

But after a long time of carefully chopping it away with my chisel set, it looks like this.


But it's time to take a break.  The 28 is starting to look much better.


In the shop, we see the newly made window sills:


And windows, for the front end.


So back to the 453.  With some more work, the entire corner is ready for new wood, more or less.  Jon Fenlaciki helped me remove the machine screws that held the wood in place.  I had to hold a wrench while standing on a ladder inside the car, while he turned the screwdriver outside.  Teamwork -- there's no substitute for teamwork.


Jon is installing the ventilators on the 65.


I did measuring and cutting, fitting, more cutting, etc.  I cut out some pieces of scrap pine as a test for fitting the replacement parts of the end tack molding in place.  These are just sitting there, not correctly aligned, since I can't hold them and take a picture at the same time.  But the next step will be to acquire some nice poplar and start making the actual replacements.



Here we see Jon help Tim run some heavy timbers through the jointer.


And among other things, I spent some time painting the patch areas at both ends.  Now we just need to start rolling primer onto the vast center section of the roof.  It's something anybody could do....


So that was another productive, enjoyable day out at the Museum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will those rotted off ends of the roof boards be replaced or simply filled in with magic epoxy?
C Kronenwetter

Will Knogl said...

I noticed that there is a 4000-Series for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar for $7000. It looks to be in poor condition. Would this be useful for parts?

Randall Hicks said...

Charles: I am hoping to be able to fasten the boards in place and fill the missing gaps, but we'll see, whenever I am able to keep working on the project.

As for the 4449, I see it's been "reduced", and for good reason. It was a wreck 20 years ago. And buying it is only the beginning -- then you have to move it and/or disassemble it at a distant location. I'm sure the L car guys know the details, but if we needed it we could have bought it long ago.