Thursday, May 20, 2021

Wednesday Report

As usual, there are lots of different things going on at the Museum.  Work continues on the MPB, but I didn't get over there to check it out.  In front of the office, though, we now have this decorative item.  Wouldn't you like to have something like this at your front door?


On a more serious note, the CA&E wood cars are scheduled to operate on Sunday, May 30th, so it's time to do the inspection.  I did everything I could without having the cars over the pit.


You can, for instance, easily inspect the contactors.  Other items include the operation of the brake systems, controllers,  whistles, and the interiors.  One feed valve needs to be cleaned and adjusted, which is not uncommon, but everything else seems to be OK.


After that, it was time to do more work on the 453.  We had three roofs being worked on simultaneously.  Here Fred is removing tacks from the tack moldings on the 306.


And Tim is removing unwanted layers of material from the roof of the 2872.



Joel ordered some more shrink tubing for me, so I was able to finish re-insulating the roof cable inside the 453, then cut the hole and send it outside.



And it looks like this.  The next step will be to solder the connectors onto the ends of the cable.  I'll need a helper for that project.


And I put primer on the rest of the drip rails and rope guards.


We're scheduled to be operating on Sunday, May 30th, along with the 1630, the Shay, a North Shore train, and two streetcars.  You won't want to miss it!  I believe we will still be operating with limited seating, so come early.  We always enjoy talking to blog readers.

2 comments:

Chris Wagner said...

Any news on how funding for motor work on 308 is going? I made my contribution.

Randall Hicks said...

Thank you! I need to look into that.