Friday, May 7, 2021

Friday Bulletin

Today, for a change, I was by myself in the car shop, so that made some differences in what I was doing.  Nonetheless there were plenty of things to accomplish.

The final two drip rails were positioned, attached with screws, and caulked in place.



Then I attached the two rope guards.  These are five or six feet long, so I thought it would be easier to install them first, and then use a hand-held wire wheel to clean them off.  That worked well.



I noticed that the rope guards were painted red at one time, which seems a little strange.  We'll have to look at what color pictures we can find to narrow this down.  I think there's light grey paint under the red, which could mean that as delivered they had been painted grey along with the rest of the roof, and then the guards were touched up with bright red.


And then I installed the grab iron at the #2 end, so I can easily get onto the roof from either side.


The next step will be to determine the exact positions of the horn guards and baffles, and attach them.


Finally, I should point out that John Arroyo and Steve Sanderson were working on the Liner, but of course that was way over in Barn 7.

There was also some switching going on; here we see the GN&A Mogul being pushed onto the steam leads by an F unit, something you don't see every day.


And since I've heard that they are planning to move the 321, or what's left of it, onto another track as soon as tomorrow, I stopped by the cadaver on my way out to check that there was nothing underneath that might cause a problem.  Another big switch move is in the works, so stay tuned!

No comments: