Thursday, February 2, 2023

Winter Wednesday

It was too cold on Wednesday to do much of anything in the barn, but in the shop there's always work to be done.  Let's start with a continuation from last time of refurbishing the trolley bases on the 460.  Here's the spring stretcher with two springs painted black.  


They were pulled out and replaced with the other two from this base.  

 I then sand-blasted and wire-wheeled them, and put them back in the hood for painting.


And after primer they look like this:


And here's the base, which I cleaned up and painted also.  The rag protects the bearing surface around which the upper part of the base rotates.  That's important.



Well, enough of that.  I'm hoping more of this process can be continued by others.  I also started disassembling the second base.

Tim spent all day working on window sash for the 1808 again.  I thought I got a picture of him at work, but I guess not.  Sorry.  He also helped me with another project, getting one of the roof cables on the 460 spliced back together.  More on this later.

John spent all day varnishing windows for the 306.  They look great.




Meanwhile, Pete and Fritz were working on 757 doors again.





Finally, we have more exciting news from the Track Dept.  While the rest of us were working inside in relative comfort, the contractors were outside, in the cold and wind, installing the switch to Yard 16.  This is in a bleak, remote corner of the property, and I wouldn't want to even walk out there to get a picture.  But luckily Bob Olson was there to bring you some idea of the progress that goes on IRM, no matter the weather!




So we do indeed have a Yard 16 in our future.

3 comments:

Steve D. said...

I was in a Zoom webinar with the Boston St. Railway Assoc. and heard (I hope I am not "Scooping" you.) that I.R.M. is obtaining MBTA trolley bus #4110.
When do you think you'll be receiving it? Considering it was operating in service mere months ago, it should be active there relatively swiftly.

Randall Hicks said...

Those are questions only Richard can answer.

Anonymous said...

None of the 4100 series have been released for disposition at this point, and there is no date set when they will release them. I understand that they are being stripped for parts to keep the dual-mode artics running. The last operation on the Cambridge system was a year ago next month.

R. W. Schauer