Sunday, April 2, 2023

Window Shade Lettering

As I've been working on a door from the passenger compartment to the vestibule on the 460, I decided to remove the window shade and take it home for safekeeping.  I was surprised to find this message lettered on the shade itself.


I don't remember seeing this on any other car; certainly none of the wood cars have anything like this.  So there's always something new to learn about the CA&E.  Generally, such a shade would only be pulled down when the motorman was operating from that particular vestibule at night, so it makes sense.  But this message isn't visible to the person pulling the shade down, which is probably why I never saw one before.  When I get a chance, I'll try to check some of the other steel cars.

1 comment:

Randall Hicks said...

I was able to check the 409 and 431, and these lettered shades are unique to the St. Louis cars.