Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Tuesday Report

Currently, my main project is fixing some of the problems with the walkover seats in the 309.  Over the years, the seats in the 309 have given me more trouble than all the other cars combined.  And this is a good time to make some repairs.


There are several that cannot be walked over, because the seat back brackets come out of the track in the castings attached to the wall, as seen here.  Some of these seats have been red-tagged, others haven't.

This seat wasn't tagged, but the frame is pulling out of the wall.   That's not good!  I removed the back and the frame, and set them aside.

I drilled out the holes in the wood, and inserted dowel plugs and epoxied them in place.  Next time, when the glue has dried, I should be able to drill new holes and re-attach the frame.  The pedestal also needs work.



And I wasn't alone in Barn 8.  Steve Smunt continues working on the 277.  I wasn't able to get good pictures of what he was doing without interrupting him, but I hope he'll send me some that he took.



Meanwhile, among other things, Tim continues restoring the 1268.  The floor looks fantastic.



And with the new (temporary) arrangement of cars, we have an interesting comparison between a standard heavyweight interurban car and a later lightweight.  




Finally...

Friends, are you troubled by anxiety and despair?  Struggling with fits of anger and frustration?  Don't know where to turn?  We have the answer -- join IRM!!!  Our trained professionals can provide therapy sessions that are tailored to your particular emotional needs.

Here, for instance, a man we'll call "Steve" is pounding on the frame of a streetcar with a heavy sledge hammer, trying to straighten it out.  You can sense the anxiety and worry just melting away.
(The therapy session actually went on much longer, but you get the idea.)


In reality, of course, this is Steve Iversen working on the Kansas City PCC, which still needs major structural repairs.  And he drives up from Oklahoma to work on it.  That's dedication!   

1 comment:

John Heid said...

Is there a rough estimate on when the KC PCC will be done? Or, put a better way: what needs to be done on the car before it can move under its own power?