Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hot News From IRM

It was really hot today! But since that's not unusual, we didn't let that stop us.

I mostly worked on the 757 again. I removed the newest pieces of tack molding and painted the backs with primer, then let them dry outside in the boiling sun for a while. Later, they were installed, trimmed, and the outsides were painted with primer, as shown here. After the primer has dried thoroughly, I'll caulk all the gaps, then install new tar paper. I also rechecked the measurements of the one trolley board that needs to be replaced, and discussed what type of wood to use with Bob Kutella.

And I also worked some more on the roof of the 321. To the left, the first new pieces of wood are shown as a test fit. These were cut from 6/4 ash on the big band saw. The originals are too badly split from the hundreds of nails driven into them to reuse. Obviously some adjustments will be needed, but it will go together well. I also spent some time removing all remaining tar paper from the center section of the roof. A lot of new wood will be required, that much is certain.

No comments: