Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tacks and Spend

Mostly I worked on the 757 again today. I started by caulking up the new tack molding, and trimming the old tar paper and canvas to a straight line so it will look better when I'm done. (R) Then I cut out some pieces of tar paper left over from the 205 project, and installed them, helped briefly by Bob Sundelin. I need to buy more tacks, especially for the seam between the old tar paper and the new, and the liquid roof sealant to make it all watertight. It now looks like this (L). I also worked on removing part of the one rotten out trolley board. Luckily, I found that the saddles beneath it are still in very good condition.

I also talked to Rod Turner and others about long-range plans. Basically, I've decided to put the 321 on the back burner. This car has so many serious problems, as I've known for a long time, that it can't be put into service for many years. There are several other possible projects that should yield results much sooner, in terms of operable electric cars. More about this later. At a minimum, though, we're going to wye the 321 to put the good side towards the aisle, and I'll letter the letterboard. This will then be a good display car.

No comments: